Quick and simple green Halloween Mummy Cookies. Transform a regular cookie into a Mummy Cookie with candy eyes and white chocolate bandages, for some fun baking times with the kids.
- 150 g pistachios (5.3 oz)
- 150 g spelt flour (5.3 oz)
- 100 g granulated sugar (3.5 oz)
- 100 g light brown sugar (3.5 oz)
- 100 g softened butter (3.5 oz)
- 1 medium egg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch of salt
- candy eyes
- white chocolate
- Turn the oven on, hot air, 180 °C (350 °F).
- Grind the pistachio nuts til you get a coarse green nut flour. I used the chopper attachment of my small blender for this task, pulse the nuts so they break apart and look like fine breadcrumbs.
- Mix all the dry ingredients (nut flour, spelt flour, baking soda and salt) together in a large bowl, set aside.
- Whisk the softened butter with the granulated sugar and the light brown sugar, until it almost looks like mouse (I recommend doing this with an electrical mixer).
- Whisk in the egg, don’t worry if it splits a little.
- Fold the butter and sugar mix into the dry ingredients. The dough will end up looking a little sticky, but it is actually very easy to roll it into balls with minimum dough sticking to your hands.
- Roll the dough into walnut sized balls, and place them on 2-3 baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Space out the cookie dough balls evenly and allow them space to spread while baking.
- Bake the cookies for about 10 minutes. You want the edges to start to brown a little bit, while the center of the cookies should stay green. Note that the cookie dough is more green than the final cookie, once it has been baked.
- Transfer the cookies to a wire rack and let them cool down to room temperature. Decorate with candy eyes and melted white chocolate.
- I used pistachios to give them a green tint. If you don’t tolerate pistachios, you can replace the pistachios with macadamia nuts. Macadamia nuts are in general the best tolerated nut in terms of histamine intolerance.
- The mummy bandages I just made quickly with melted white chocolate. Again simple and quick. You can of course give them a more bandage like look by using icing with a flat tip on the pipping bag. Like these Mummy Cookies from Ann’s Entitled Life.