Really moist and delicious ugly duckling of a cake – Histamine Friendly Vegan Blueberry Zucchini Cake. Don’t let the looks fool you, it is so good that my blueberry hating husband loved it <3
- 1 cup spelt flour (150 g)
- 1/2 cup wholegrain spelt flour (90 g)
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar*
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 tbsp (extra virgin) olive oil
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup finely grated zucchini (ca. 120 g)
- 1/2 – 1 cup (frozen) blueberries (ca. 75-150 g)**
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C (360 °F).
- Mix the dry ingredients (spelt flour, wholegrain spelt flour, coconut sugar, baking soda, and salt) together in a bowl.
- Make three indents in the dry ingredients and add the oil to one of the holes, the apple cider vinegar and vanilla extract to the second hole, and finely grated zucchini to the third. Last add the water and mix all of the ingredients together.
- Pour the dough into an oven dish (ca. 20 cm x 20 cm/ 8″ x 8″) lined with grease proof paper.
- Distribute the blueberries as well as you can over the top of the cake and bake the cake for 30-35 minutes (or until a small wooden skewer comes out clean).
- Let the cake cool off before you cut into it. Enjoy 😀
- I used coconut sugar for this cake, which gives it a more caramelized/spiced taste somehow. However the coconut sugar is also responsible for turning the cake brown. And honestly the cake is prettier when you use regular sugar (from sugar beets or cane sugar).
- They finally had organic frozen blueberries at my local so I bought them instead of the once I normally buy. The organic blueberries were way smaller and bakes darker than the once I normally buy, which also contributed to the cake looking different than normally. These blueberries were almost black when baked, while I normally get a more purple color.