Filling winter salad with raw shaved Brussels sprouts, fried chicken and kale/basil low histamine pesto.
For the salad:
- 100 g Brussels sprouts, cleaned (3.5 oz)
- 250 g cauliflower florets (8.8 oz)
- 150–200 g carrot (5.3–7 oz)
- 80 g mixed lettuce (2.8 oz)
- 75 g chicken breast per person (2.6 oz per person)
- 1 tsp (extra virgin) olive oil
For the Low Histamine Pesto
- 20 g baby kale (a big handful)
- 25 g basil (an even bigger handful ;))
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 tsp pistachios (optional)*
- 1 small spring onion (4 g/ 0.14 oz)
- 4 tbsp of (extra virgin) olive oil (more if you want it thinner)*
- a pinch of salt
- Fry up the chicken breast, with a little olive oil and salt.
- Then make the Low Histamine Pesto ? Simply add the greens (baby kale and basil), hemp seeds, optional nuts, a small spring onion, extra virgin olive oil and a pinch of salt into a container that fits a hand held blender. Blend it till it has the texture you prefer.
- For the salad, clean all the veggies. Slice up the Brussels sprouts, carrots and cauliflower finely. Or if you are lacy like me use your food processor for this step ?
- Wash and (spin) dry the mixed lettuce leaves.
- Mix it all up in a nice big bowl ?
- When the chicken is done and nicely crispy on the outside, remove it from the pan and let it rest for a few minutes, before you slice it up.
- Serve up a pile of salad, place the chicken on top, and drizzle with pesto. Dig in and enjoy o/
- The pistachios are optional. If you don’t tolerate them, either leave them out, or replace with more hemp seeds or another type of tolerated nut or seed.
- You can adjust the thickness of the pesto by adding more or less olive oil.
- The nutritional data is calculated based on 1 portion out of 2