Simple, quick, nourishing and comforting Low Histamine Apple Chicken Dinner.
- 1000 g small (new) potatoes with skin
- 4 shallots
- 2 apples (I used Elstar apples)
- 20 g pumpkin seeds (a small handful)
- 200 g green asparagus
- 2-4 Little Gem lettuce (or romaine lettuce), depending on the size
- 300 g of chicken thigh fillet (ca. 50-100 g per person)
- 1 tbsp of (extra virgin) olive oil
- 1 tbsp of (salted) butter (optional)
- a pinch of salt
- Give the potatoes a quick rinse, cut off any bad parts and cut them in half or quarters, depending on their size. Put them in a pot, cover with water and add a little salt. Bring it to a boil, turn down the heat, and let them simmer with the lid on for about 15 mins. Once the potatoes are done (you can prick them easily with a fork), pour out the water, and let them stand in the pot to steam off with out the lid. If you like you can add a little knob of (salted) butter to the potatoes at this stage, give them a stir to get all the potatoes covered in a bit of butter.
- While the potatoes are boiling. Add a little (extra virgin) olive oil to a pan, and add the chicken thigh fillets.
- Clean and cut the shallots into half rings, or rings depending on their size.
- Let the chicken brown a bit before adding in the shallots.
- Clean and deseed the apples and cut them into little cubes.
- Once the onion has turned a bit translucent, add the apple cubes and the pumpkin seeds. Give it all a good stir and make sure to turn the chicken around. Let it cook for another 5-7 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the apple have gone soft.
- While the chicken and potatoes are cooking, rinse the asparagus and snap of the wooden end. Roast them on a grill pan until they turn bright green, and get little brown marks from the grill pan. Rinse and slice up the Little Gems.
- Once everything is ready, serve it up and enjoy a comforting plate of Low Histamine Simple Apple Chicken Dinner.
- Tip: I boil the water in my kettle before pouring it over the potatoes. That way it all goes a bit quicker.