Creamy vegan red bell pepper and cauliflower sauce. Perfect for pasta or sautéed veggies.
- 2 big bell peppers (ca. 500 g, with stem and everything)
- 150 g cauliflower (steamed)
- 1 very small red onion (ca. 20 g)
- ¼ cup pine nuts (40 g)
- Ca. ¾ cup water (1/4 cup liquid from the roasted bell peppers, and ½ cup of boiling water)
- 1 tsp lemon juice (optional)
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- ½ tsp (sea)salt
- a handful of basil, finely sliced
- A little extra pine nuts
- Preheat your oven to 200 °C (390 °F).
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper, place the bell pepper on the paper (whole, but washed). Put them in the oven and roast till the skin comes loose and starts to brown/blacken, about 20-30 minutes.
- While the bell peppers are cooking away in the oven, steam the cauliflower.
- When the bell peppers are done, take them out of the oven and place them in a container with a lid. Let them cool down for a bit. Placing them in a closed container, helps the skin loosen. Once they have cooled so much that you can handle them with your hands, peel of the skin, and get rid of the stem and seeds. I usually do all of this in the container, they cooled down in. I do this to not lose all the liquid which is released from the bell peppers. There is so much flavor in that liquid, so try to save it.
- Add the bell peppers and the liquid you saved to a blender or food processor, together with the steamed cauliflower and the other ingredients, except for the basil. Blend till you get a smooth sauce.
- Serve with freshly cooked pasta or some sautéed veggies. sprinkle a few pine nuts and some finely sliced basil on top. Enjoy you guys ? I used pasta made from peas, to get the protein count up a bit. Added bonus with pea pasta is that it is grain free. The nutrition data is calculated on one portion out of four (no pasta included).
The sauce thickens a bit after cooling down. When you reheat it, you can add a little extra boiling water till it gets the texture you like again.