Tomato free Ketchup,with no added sugar or vinegar.
- 4 carrots, 3 orange and 1 purple (in total ca. 400 g)
- 1 apple
- 2 small red onions (ca. 80 g)*
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp turmeric (optional)
- 1/4 tsp paprika (optional)
- ca. 40 ml water (use the steaming liquid (ca 1/6 cup))
- Clean and peel the carrots and the apple. I used a mix of orange and purple carrots to give it more of a red color. Steam them.
- Peel the red onions and cut them into quarters. Fry the onions in a bit of coconut oil on a pan, till they start to caramelize.
- Check the carrots and apples to see if they have had enough, by pricking them with a fork, if the carrots fall of the fork, they are ready.
- Transfer the carrots, apple, and caramelized onion to a container in which you can blend them (or put it all in your blender or food processor). Add the spices and a bit of the steaming liquid, save the rest of the steaming liquid, in case you need to adjust the consistency after blending.
- Blend and adjust the consistency to your liking with a bit more of the steaming liquid.
- Salt to taste.
- Serve them up with some delicious sweet potato fries, or which ever veggie fries you prefer. Enjoy 🙂
- You can replace the red onion with a white onion to make it even more histamine friendly. White onions are the best tolerated type of onion for people with histamine issues.
- Store any leftover ketchup in the refrigerator for up to three days. If you are sensitive to histamine build up in leftovers freeze it down in handy serving sizes.