Low Histamine Brussels Sprout Salad – a fresh and deliciously crunchy salad. With raw shaved Brussels sprouts. Perfect as a side salad or a refreshing lunch.
- 200 g purple Brussels sprouts (7 oz)
- 50–60 g kale and cavolo nero* (2 oz)
- 1 medium-big apple (I used an Elstar apple)
- 1/2–1 pomegranate
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- Roast the pumpkin seeds on a dry pan, until they start to “pop”. Move them to a small bowl and set aside.
- Wash and (spin) dry the kale and cavolo nero.Cut up the leaves into small strips.
- Remove the outer most layer of leaves from the Brussels sprouts and shave off the outer most part of the stem. Rinse them and slice them up finely. I’m a bit too lazy for this, so I use my food processor for this step.
- Clean and slices up the apple into thin slices.
- Remove the red juicy jewels from the pomegranate.
- Mix it all together and sprinkle with hemp seeds and dry roasted pumpkin seeds. Enjoy
- Cavolo nero, is known by many names including Lacinato kale, Tuscan kale, Italian kale, dinosaur kale, black kale, and palm tree kale. If you can’t find it, just use more regular (baby)kale.
- If you want a dressing for this salad I recommend the pomegranate dressing from my recipe: Pumpkin and Cauliflower Quinoa Salad with Pomegranate Dressing.
- This salad can be eaten as a side salad for about 6-8 people. Or as a refreshingly lunch.