One of the things I have figured out works the best for me when I have an excess of histamine in my body (when my histamine bucket is overflowing), is to make some fresh juice in my slow juicer. It helps reduce most of my symptoms, but especially stuffed sinuses, sluggishness, and abdominal pains. So lately I have increased the amount of times I juice on a weekly basis from once to about three times.
Since my refrigerator is always stuffed with fresh veggies, I mostly just grap stuff at random from the refrigerator and juice, but always making sure I have 2-3 things in there with excellent antihistamine/mast cell stabilizing properties. Sometimes that leads to incredibly tasting concoctions, other times the opposite 😉 This Red Antihistamine Juice is one of the great surprises taste wise.
For this Red Antihistamine Juice, I used the following ingredients:
- Carrots – antioxidants, supports colon health
- Red beets – high in betalains, which provides antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and detoxification support (great for the liver, phase two detoxification)
- Apples – high in quercetine -> antihistamine
- Watercress – inhibits histamines released from mast cells
- Turmeric – powerful anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties, and inhibits mast cell activation
- Ginger – mast cell stabilizer
- Lemon (optional) – Lemons are a histamine liberator, leave them out if lemons are a problem food for you
I often get the question why I choose to add lemon to my juices, even though it can act as a histamine liberator in the body. And for me there are multiple answers to that…. First of all I’m able to tolerate small amounts of lemon in my diet, and therefor add it in small amounts as a taste giver where I feel like it benefits the dish. So I add it to my juices, and use it when I’m cooking fish, among others. And like I said we are talking about small amounts here and always freshly squeezed lemon juice, not the kind that comes in a plastic bottle shaped like a lemon 😉 You have to find what works for you and keep exploring and trying to add things back into your diet as much as your body allows. And remember fresh lemon juice also has some wonderful health benefits.
I hope you will enjoy this kick-ass juice 🙂
- 4 big carrots
- 1 big red beet
- 2 small-medium apples
- a handful of watercress
- a piece of turmeric, ca 15 g
- a slice of ginger, ca 10 g
- ⅙ lemon (optional)
- Clean and prepare all the ingredients according to the specs of your juicer
- Juice and enjoy 🙂